A vehicle that has been red-tagged has 72 hours (3 days) to move or it will be subject to impoundment. A red-tag is a notice affixed to a vehicle that informs the owner of why it needs to be either moved, or removed from the street. Most vehicles abandoned on public streets or City property will be stored at the City’s impound lot.
A vehicle can be red-tagged for the following reasons:
- The vehicle appears to be or is broken down;
- The vehicle has expired or no registration; and/or
- The vehicle has been reported to be abandoned
Abandoned Vehicles on Private Property
If you have a vehicle abandoned on your property, contact the Police Department at (970) 384-6500. An officer will respond to determine if the vehicle is reported stolen. If the vehicle is reported stolen, the Police Department will impound the vehicle and remove it from the property. If the vehicle is not reported stolen, the responsibility of the vehicle will fall on the owner of the property. The property owner can contact a tow company to remove the vehicle, however, the cost will initially fall upon the property owner who will then have to seek civil recourse to collect money from the owner of the vehicle.
What if my vehicle was impounded?
No vehicles will be released during the weekend or on holidays
Vehicles will only be released by first contacting front desk personnel at GSPD either in person or by calling (970) 384-6500, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday excluding holidays.
Abandoned Vehicle Fees:
- Abandoned vehicle impounds are $125 plus additional daily storage fees which are set by the particular tow company used. The GSPD utilizes several local tow companies on a rotational basis.
- Storage of abandoned vehicles at the City Impound Lot incur a fee of $10 per day.
Municipal Ordinance related to Abandoned Vehicles is located here.